The Lake Wales Radio Amateurs (LWRA) is proud to represent the Laurel Volunteer Examiner Coordinator (VEC) to provide FREE Volunteer Exam sessions. We can not guarantee how quickly the FCC will process our examinations, but have “usually” had call signs and license upgrades as FAST as the Monday morning following the Saturday Exam.
These are normally scheduled for the First Saturday of every month, at 9 AM for those applicants who have pre-registered. Exam sessions are held at:
Polk County Chapter American Red Cross
147 Avenue A NW
Winter Haven, FL 33881
Anyone wishing to take an exam at our sessions must contact us in advance. There is a cut off time to request an exam and that is 6 PM the Thursday before the Saturday exam. We do not accept walk-ins. This will allow us to have the appropriate number of VE’s present in order to certify exams.
Feel free to contact our VE coordinator, Al Bentley – K2RXD, at 863-325-8777 or via email at ve at lwra dot us Substitute “@” for at and “.” for dot.
What’s next? Keep reading!
The Debt Collection Act of 1996 requires that anyone applying for or renewing any federally issued license must provide their Taxpayer ID Number (TIN) which is your Social Security Number. We prefer not to handle, have access to or even know your SSN. Therefore, you may submit your FCC-assigned Federal Registration Number (FRN) in lieu of your SSN. Obtaining this FRN is very fast and simple. It needs to be obtained only once, as you will have an FRN and call sign when you test for General and Amateur Extra.
You can get a FRN by registering your SSN with the FCC at its website:
The instructions are easy to follow. Just click on the “Register” button and follow the instructions.
Once you have obtained an FRN, send the following information to us by using the pull down menu labeled “VE Exam Request Form” under this tab. (Just hover over the “License Exams” and it will appear right underneath.)
- Your FRN number.
- Your call sign if you have one.
- Your name exactly as you registered for the FRN.
- Your complete mailing address to include street, city, state, and ZIP.
- Your primary telephone number
- Your email address.
- Check which exam you wish to take: Tech/General/Extra
- Indicate which session (regular First Saturday one is default).
- Any remarks or questions you might have. For example, any special needs.
What to bring on Exam day:
1. A legal photo ID (driver’s license, passport).
When no photo ID is available, two forms of identification must be presented:
a. Non-photo ID/driver’s license (some states still have them).
b. Birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal).
c. Social security card.
d. Library card.
e. Utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that specifically names the person; or a postmarked envelope addressed to the person at his or her current mailing address as it appears on the Form 605.
2. Students may bring any of the above items and/or a school ID, minor’s work permit, report card, or a legal guardian may present a photo ID.
3. Two number two pencils with erasers and a pen.
4. A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed. If you don’t have one, we will provide one.
You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session. Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable, as long as they’re free of notes and formulas. Cell phone must be silenced or turned off during the exam session. The phones’ calculator function may not be used.
For more information on what to study and for links to on line examination sites, check the “Becoming a Ham” tab.